Stone Mill 50: Training Week 10 Recap

Week 10 proved to be another hectic week, but I was satisfied with the runs I managed to fit in. With 3 wake-ups before 5 AM last week, I am still trying to catch up on some much needed sleep. Here's the recap of last week: 

Week 10: Build 

Monday: 6 miles easy

Tuesday: Rest

I had originally planned to run 6 or 7 miles on Tuesday. However, after a long day at work and a frustrating shopping trip after work to buy a dress to wear to the Oiselle fashion show after party in NYC, I could not fathom the thought of running when I got home around 8 PM. Sometimes, you just need an extra rest day. 

Wednesday: 6 miles AM

I knew I would be heading to NYC on Wednesday afternoon for the Oiselle party, so I woke up bright and early to get in 6 miles with the sunrise. 
I caught the 2:30 Megabus to New York and then headed to my friend Samantha's place on the Upper East Side. We headed to Gastro Market in Chelsea for dinner and had some great cocktails and food. 
Basil Gimlet at GastroMarket
After dinner, Samantha and I headed over to Son Cubano for the Oiselle party. It was fantastic to meet lots of my teammates and some of the Oiselle head folks, including Sally and Mac. I felt so lucky to be a part of such an amazing, female-focused brand and had a great time with all the Oiselle birds. 

Thursday: Rest

After waking up at 4:30 AM to catch the bus back to Philly, I could not fathom running on Thursday. I had another long day at work, and wanted to be sure to rest up for my long run on Friday. 

Friday: 20 mile trail run (4 hours)

I knew this would be a true test to see if I was physically and mentally prepared for the Vermont 50k in a couple of weeks. I started off shaky, feeling dehydrated and exhausted. However, once I drained my hydration pack, ate some snacks, and drank some Gatorade, I felt much better and continued on to finish strong, and actually managed to negative split the second half. I felt tired, but not too sore when all was said and done, which gave me confidence that I could perform well in my upcoming 50k. 

Saturday: 12 mile run

I set out for another long-ish run on Saturday, and felt much better than I expected. My legs were not sore, and the only issue I ran into was a little weakness from glycogen depletion and poor timing. I definitely got out too late after breakfast, and by the time I started my run it should have been lunchtime. I snacked on some pineapple and coconut water during the run and felt better. Immediately after, I headed to Molly Malloy's in the Reading Terminal Market for some much needed calories. 
Later that night, I headed to the Mann Center with Josh and some friends to see The Avett Brothers, one of our favorite bands. They put on a great show, as usual, and I danced the entire time. Having just run 32 miles in 24 hours, I was shocked how great my legs felt that night. 

Sunday: Rest 

Sunday was definitely an "active" rest day, as I woke up at 4:30 AM again to volunteer at the Philly Rock n' Roll Half Marathon. I had toyed with the idea of running this race, but knew I wouldn't do my best running the day after a concert.
The set-up
Oiselle Happy Hoodie and Runfinity Feather Burnout Scarf 
kept me warm on a chilly morning
I had no idea how stressful volunteering at a water stop would be. The set-up went very smoothly, but there was not much direction from the leader during the actual race. During the height of the race, it seemed like we would actually run out of water cups, so I spent about an hour and a half straight just pouring water into cups as fast as humanly possible. Doing this on four hours sleep was not so easy, but it was an awesome experience overall. All the runners were so gracious, and I had a lot of fun cheering them on. I definitely respect aid station volunteers MUCH more now that I know all the work that goes into setting up, serving the runners, and cleaning up!
Total: 44 Miles
It felt like I ran more than 44 miles last week, but looking back on things, I actually managed to squeeze 57 miles in from last Sunday to Saturday. It's easy for me to track my training weeks in Monday to Sunday blocks, but I always try to keep in mind that 7 days is 7 days, so I keep an eye on this "rolling" week to make sure I don't get injured or overtrained. I'm planning to take an easier week this week in preparation for my 50k on September 29. After last week, I am now fully confident that I will finish the 50k, and am really looking forward to heading back to Vermont!
Have a great week! 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge