Weekend in NYC: Part 2

In case you missed part 1, click here! 
[Cliff's Notes version of part 1]: I SAID YES TO THE DRESS!  
I said goodbye to my family after brunch, and then grabbed a beer with Diana, my maid of honor, at Heartland Brewery before she boarded a train back to the suburbs.  
After Diana left, I headed to Murray Hill where I walked around and hung out in a coffee shop until it was time for dinner with my cousin Gabe and his girlfriend Katie, who is another one of bridesmaids. Feeling tipsy from the champagne, and high off the Kleinfeld experience, I met up with Katie and Gabe at Caliente Cab for dinner and drinks for Katie's 22nd birthday. 
Katie and a birthday margarita

We had a great time catching up on life over margaritas and mojitos, and I felt lucky to have such awesome people in my family. After inhaling some chicken tacos, I departed around 8:30 for the Upper East Side and headed to the apartment of my friends and former co-workers, Samantha and Mike. 
Since these two kids also just got engaged (!!!), we had lots of wedding plans to chat about (sorry, Mike.) We ended up heading to a belated Halloween party in Harlem where everyone was dressed in clever and ironic costumes. Mike and I were coincidentally both dressed as Power Rangers, so I think we won for the night.
Mike and me, aka Jason and Kimberly
Red Power Ranger (Mike) and Grumpy Cat (Samantha)


The next morning, I awoke bright and early to trek back to Harlem and volunteer at mile 22 of the New York City Marathon. I had no clue what to expect, but I dressed in Oiselle layers and had a New York bagel in hand, so I was pretty confident it would be a good day. 
Ready for the racers!
After checking in and receiving my name badge and poncho, I met up with our group leader and fellow Oiselle teammate, Gabrielle aka Marathons and Macarons. We eventually found our group of about 15, and made our way over to the left side of the road, where we would be volunteering for the next 8 hours. 
This volunteer experience was nothing like my last one at the Philadelphia Rock N' Roll Half Marathon. Everything about this water stop was organized and well stocked, while the Philly Half volunteer experience felt very chaotic. This time, I never felt panicked or worried that we would run out of water, even though there were over 50,000 runners! Overall, I had an amazing experience, and though 5th Avenue basically became a wind tunnel and I was freezing the whole time, I would definitely volunteer for this marathon again. Maybe one day I'll even get to run NYC! Here are a few of my favorite photos from the race:
 Eventual women's winner, Priscah Jeptoo
 Men's leaders at Mile 22

Refillin' cups like a boss

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge